Social Icons

Friday 19 July 2013

Local Lovin': Back in La La Land

In Local Lovin' I will be looking at designers/ stores/ creators of marvellous things/ anything else that catches my eye - all based in Glasgow. I believe that we should be supporting the talent that we have locally so have decided to start Local Lovin' as a regular feature. If you would like to be featured please get in touch! See my Contact page for details.

At the weekend The Boy and I popped into La La Land at De Courcy's Arcade as it had been way too long since I had last been to visit. I have blogged about the store before (back in 2011) and it was lovely to see the owner (and all-round awesome chick) Sarah, have a blether and a nosey at the new goodies that she had in store.

As ever, I felt like a kid in a fashion candy store and loved looking at all of the cute jewellery on display. From acrylic nameplate necklaces by Scottish favourites Bonnie Bling (I spied oversized OCH and PEELY WALLY designs on sale), to paper aeroplane brooches and scrabble tile rings, I had to restrain myself! Too cute. The Boy pointed out an itty-bitty inverted cross necklace but as it was displayed very closely to some Ryan Gosling jewellery I found it a little hard to focus. Ahem.

For beauty junkies, there were some fun new items like brightly coloured hair chalk, nail decals and heart-shaped hair rollers to choose from. I'm dying to try out the rollers, they look really easy to use and I love the heart shaped foam.

I noticed a lot more stationary and books in stock on this visit, and general non-jewellery/ clothes items that are just as fun as the fashion pieces . For example, prints, DIY bunting (love this!) cushions and some rather excellent colouring books by Colour Me Good. Colouring in the 90s, Hip Hop and Ryan Gosling (him again, whoops) never looked so good. And did I mention the amazing pencils (as a total stationary geek I stand by the phrase 'amazing pencils' with conviction) stamped with quotes from TV shows like Parks and Recreation, Community & Arrested Development. I'd love a 30 Rock set, but sadly it wasn't meant to be. I picked up a pack of It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia pencils as a gift for a friend - at £3 they are totally inexpensive and I know she will get a real kick out of using them at the office.

On the racks of clothes I spotted adorable animal vests and the coolest anorak ever (standing firmly by that statement too) by Brat and Susie, and some new pieces by one of my new favourite indie brands, Abandon Ship Apparel. It's awesome having a boutique that stocks these brands, especially if you are unsure of sizing or fit and don't want to take the gamble of buying online. La La Land even have a little changing room so you can have your own mini fashion parade before deciding which outfits to buy.

The merchandising is still awesome, with lots of items on display but with plenty of room to browse too. The jewellery displays are still my favourites and I was pleased to see the necklaces were still on coat hangers and  smaller items, like rings, on cake stands.

Overall La La Land still has a place in my heart as being one of THE coolest boutiques in the West End for it's dedication to stocking independent brands. This coming weekend I'm taking a friend on a 'West End Tour' featuring shopping, food and general wandering and will be sure to make a trip to La La Land mandatory on our day out.

You can visit La La Land on the Lower Floor of De Courcy's Arcade on Cresswell Lane (just around the corner from Byres Road). Also, their online shop can be found here!

Have you ever been to La La Land? What is your favourite item in store? Are you a stationary geek like me?

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment