Social Icons

Monday 15 November 2010

Say No To Plastic at Oran Mor

My lazy Sunday this week was transformed into an impromptu day of shopping and cake-eating after hearing about Say No to Plastic's Vintage and Craft fair over at Oran Mor. A mere stone's throw away from my flat, and with the promise of goodies from top local creative types, I deemed it too good to pass up. And so, best gal-pal in tow, we headed over to the top of Byres road to see what was on offer.

After climbing up the spiraling staircase and entering the main hall, the first thing I noticed was just how busy it was. Jumpin', as my Dad would say. There was a huge variety of stalls (over 35 at last count) and lots and lots of customers in between. We squeezed through the crowds and slowly browsed around the hall, taking in all of the vintage and reworked clothes, gorgeous gifts, home baking and independent designers.

I couldn't possibly list everything that I liked, but highlights included the super kawaii table set up by I Love Lexy & I Love Spoilt Pig (whose goodies included the very tempting £3 lucky dips), pretty hair accessories by Something Different, knitwear and tweed to keep us warm by Missy Montague & Breagha and far too many vintage stalls to mention (but Vintage Fray and Vintage Inspirations had some particularly lovely pieces). Phew!

Say No to Plastic, as well as showcasing products from local talent, mainly aims to raise awareness of environmental causes - hence the title - by influencing people to reduce their use of plastic bags (more information on this can be read at their website). The event at Oran Mor had an overall message to reduce, re-use and recycle - but certainly showed that being kind to the environment can be stylish with the impressive collection of re-worked and second-hand clothes on offer. As well as the usual vintage fayre, I spotted shoes by Marc Jacobs and a gorgeous Chloe frock.

I enjoyed having a look at all the stalls, there was such variety and the atmosphere was really friendly. I don't know if it was all the cakes, the well-priced fashion, the fact that it was all in aid of a good cause or the fact that Christmas is just around the corner - but whatever it was, it was making people happy. One jolly shopper exclaimed "this is like a car boot sale with attitude" as I squeezed past - and I have to say I agree with him. I purchased a fab ring from the We Are the Robots girls and some gorgeous tights from the ever talented and all-round nice folk at Tights For Sore Eyes...


Love them. A mere tenner and officially my New Favourite Tights.

After the shopping fun we hopped on over to Three Steps to Heaven on Byres Road, to round off the day with tea and cake.

Be sure to keep en eye on the Say No to Plastic website for news, updates and information on any upcoming events.

Were you at Say No to Plastic?

No comments:

Post a Comment